Great tutorial on how to make burlap flowers! Here’s a crafty project for flowers that will make great ornamental pieces, or you can even add them to bags, hats and coats. Flowers made from burlap material are easy, cheap and look great!
Here are the steps to making your own burlap flowers:
First you need to consider what you will be using the burlap flower for. There are different grades of material and you will want to make sure you pick one that is complimentary to the clothing or bag you are adding it to.
Purchase enough burlap to construct as many flowers as you need, sharp scissors, round felt (matching in color and size for the backing of your flower) and a hot glue gun.
- You will need to cut the burlap material into strip that are 1.5-inches wide and 15-inches long for an average sized flower. You can adjust the size for the scope of the project. Measure where you need to cut and then do a tiny slice. Pull out one strand of the burlap and you then have a perfect straight-edge measurement for your cut!
- Choose an end and fold the material in half. Begin rolling for about three rolls to create the center of the flower.
- Twist the unfolded burlap away from the center of the flower and continue rolling in to make the flower petals.
- Hold the bottom of the burlap flower and twist and turn to make the petals of the flower.
- Add hot glue to the finished end of the burlap and twist it beneath the flower. Hold it so that it doesn’t come undone before the glue dries.
- Use hot glue to attach the base felt. Add additional glue if needed to make sure that the flower is solid and secure. Hold onto it until the glue has dried.